Thursday, January 10, 2013

Play Dough craftiness

I am really not a fan of Play Dough. It stresses me out, the mess of the little crumbs getting smooshed into the carpet. I hate it when the colors get mixed up. I feel guilty throwing it out when it gets gross, it's all very irritating (read: anxiety inducing) to me.




                            Omg you guys.  Are you kidding me?  I didn't even stage this. Uuugh I can't.



 Max loves to make the solar system and smash it on to our sliding glass door then when everything is in it's perfect place, he makes comets and asteroids and whips them at the solar system and the next thing I know there are Play Dough bits flying everywhere.  I hate it.  I probably have a mild case of OCD and I for sure have control issues. Play Dough does nothing to help my case. That being said, the kid loves it so I try to suck it up. I let Max play with it whenever he wants...which in the New England winter, is often. I'm left with a dried up mess and a waste of money. So I started thinking. Can't I make this stuff?  It would make my life a little easier if I could just whip up a quick batch and not feel guilty about throwing it away when he's done destroying the universe.

So I came up with this modified salt dough recipe...


2 c. flour
2 c. water
1 c salt
2 tbsp veg oil (+ a little more while kneading)

I threw everything in a pot and heated it up while stirring it.  In about a minute and a half I had just about the right consistency.  I divided the batch and started kneading in the color.  The dough was a little sticky, so I just put some oil on my hands as I kneaded and that did the trick. 



                                       My little assistant and his cohort in mischief peeking in the                                                      background.  Hahaha! She cracks me up.



This came together so fast I didn't get any pictures of the process. 
Max is deciding if the colors are vibrant enough for him.  He said it passed his inspection.  Whew!  I was nervous for a sec. 
 
 
 
The finished product. 
 
 
This was seriously fast and easy to pull together. 
 I'm psyched about the results and I think Little Dude is too.  He's busy pelting it at the glass door as I type.

No comments:

Post a Comment