Sunday, January 13, 2013

Celery Bean Soup.

It's a grey dreary New England day. The boys are watching soccer..Liverpool/ Man U I think. Lula is napping and I do believe I will make a nice pot of soup. (My mom would always say that.." Let's have a NICE salad, shall we?" " Let's make a NICE snack."  as opposed to a terrible one, I guess.  HA!)
Anyway, It feels like a good day for some comfort food.

 My Nonni would make this soup and it was always a huge crowd pleaser. She was protective of her recipes, though,  and if you asked her for a copy she would never say no....she would just give you a bogus one with some crazy curve ball ingredients thrown in.  Or she would suddenly forget how to speak English. That was my favorite passive aggressive move.  I wish I could utilize it.   So after many tries and weeding out the superfluous ingredients we now know the hilariously simple recipe.  An evil genius, that Nonni.

                  So beautiful.  I love this photo of Nonni. I think I'll keep in the kitchen from now on.



Celery Bean Soup


Cover the bottom of the pot with olive oil
saute about 2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 small minced onion
about 4 stalks chopped celery
and 2 c Navy beans
2 quarts water

Simmer for a while
Salt and pepper to taste
Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese ( or nutritional yeast for a vegan spin)

Saute the garlic, onion and celery.
 
 




                                                                         Yum.



Are you kidding me?  That's it???  Yup, but when you make it, don't tell anyone how easy it is, they always think you slaved over it.  I like to keep up the illusion.  Just like Nonni.

No comments:

Post a Comment