Friday, January 4, 2013

Baby belly blues

Every day it's a struggle to get dressed.  Not because of some depressive mood, but because I'm just not stoked on how I look these days. I put something on and stand in front of the mirror and pull at this and tug at that and shift and suck in and accessorize.
 Sigh.  Lula is crying again.  Good enough, let's just get on with it.  I resolve my self to the fact that it's as good as it's going to get for the day and if I just put on some lipstick I'll feel MUCH better.  By the end of the day I look like The Joker and It's a pretty good gauge for others to assess my mood.
The other day Max asked my why my belly was "like that".   "Well, Max.  umm.  Sometimes when you grow enormous babies in your belly, it takes a while for it to go back to normal, and ummm, I wish it was flat, and I'm not really happy with how it looks..."


 "Well I like it. I think it looks great, it's soft and makes a great place to cuddle." 
This stopped me dead in my tracks.  yea.  I mean.....YEA!!! The kid was right!!! I am soft and a great place for my kids to find comfort. My body has done amazing things.  It's made Humans.  Plural! And the food to nourish them!!! It's kind of like my super power.  My body is strong, tough and resilient and a great place to find cuddles. I'm healthy and active.  It's taken me on amazing journeys and it's time for me to cut it some slack.  I'm not perfect, but I'm a work in progress.  Heck yea, Max! You are totally right!!   It's incredibly humbling when your kids teach you the best lessons. How about you guys?  Have you struggled with body image since having children?  How have you maintained a sense of your pre-baby self?

No comments:

Post a Comment