Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Magic and Candy

I'm not much of a morning person. I'm not chatty and I don't like to be chirped at.  Uuuugh.  Where's my coffee? Why does it have to be so abrupt? Can't we just ease into this thing?  Nope. Not when you have kids. 

I hear his little footsteps in the hall coming towards me.  Even his steps are cheerful. 
"Good Morning Yaya!!
" Good morning, Max! I'm happy to see you!!!"  I say it every morning, and you know what?  I mean it.
My mood changes immediately.

Come here and let me look at your face, I tell him as he climbs onto my lap. I brush his hair back with my hand and inspect his face carefully." Ahh haa.  Yup.  Just as I thought."  He smiles, he knows what's coming next. "You are more beautiful today than you were yesterday, and I'm not sure how that happened because yesterday you were the most beautiful boy in the world."


"Oh! Someone is awake, you better go get her" he tells me, looking forward to greeting her too.

Lula is happy to see me but mildly irritated that I'm not holding her yet.  She's like me, she needs to ease into it, this whole morning thing.


There it is!!  Sweet morning cuddles.  It's like magic and candy.


 
He's calling her from the living room and she's peeking around corners to find him. They love eachother like, WHOA!
 
Oh! Hi Little! ( his nick name for her nick name, Little Mama) I didn't expect to see YOU! 
Yes you totally did. We all did.  We expect to see eachother and repeat this whole scene every day for ever and ever Amen. The thing is, I'm on borrowed time.  They're bigger every day and they'll grow up and move out and get married (or not) and have kids (or not) but they'll move on.  I want to hit the pause button so I can memorize every freckle, grin and boogery face. I want them to know that every time they walk in the room, I really am happy to see them.  I could sleep for 15 minutes more, but then I'd miss this. And some day, I'll want just 15 minutes more of that sweet time when they were babies.
 
 "It's OUR day, Yaya!!"  "Yup, little dude, it sure is. "  Really, it's just Tuesday.  Just a regular old Tuesday. But it's OUR Tuesday.   Magic and candy, I tell ya.  Magic and candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment