Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I am wonderful...


"Please don't climb on the furniture.
Get down please.
THAT is NOT how a gentleman acts.  Get DOWN.
MAX!!! PLEASE stop jumping, climbing, tumbling, rolling, bouncing, walking and flipping on the furniture!  Why do I have to ask you 10 times to do the same thing???!!!!???"

"I'm a wonderful boy."

Sigh.

As aggravated as I want to be in that moment, I had to smile. This kid is on to something there.  Even if you are screwing up, or if people around you aren't 100% pleased with your behavior, You are still an awesome human. No one is perfect, but it doesn't change the fact that we are worth loving and appreciating.

 It's so hard to go through life and not get a little beaten down and your spirit broken by all the bumps along the way. 


At the end of the day I'll think about conversations I've had with people and think, "Oh..I should have said that differently, or UUUUGH. I wish I hadn't said that at all."  I mean...I do this ALL THE TIME.  I lay awake at night and cringe at the things I've said and done and hope they don't think worse of me. Or less of me.   At no point does the thought " I'm a wonderful girl" cross my mind. 
It's almost like the negative thoughts and insecurities are more easily accepted and believable to me.  What IS that??? Why???  Do we, as adults,  prefer the insecurities rolling around our head 24 hours a day?  Of course not!  What kind of lunatic would?

I know that I'm not judging others nearly as harshly as I judge myself.  It seems silly to think that others are dissecting my every word and action. Who has time for that?


So here's the take away, folks.....are you ready??  Let's all just lighten up on ourselves. Let's cut ourselves a break. Let's strive for improvement but be a little kind to ourselves in the process, because, you know what?  There are tiny eyes and ears on us at all times.  If I'm constantly cutting myself down, am I not teaching my children to do the same to themselves?  I mean....If they are part of me, and I find myself so displeasing, won't they assume they too are displeasing?  Not on my watch, friends.


"Yes. You are a wonderful boy. The most wonderful boy. So please get your wonderful behind off my furniture."

2 comments:

  1. Children teach you valuable life lessons sometimes. Then they fart in your lap.

    ReplyDelete